Makar Sankranti is one of the most eminent festivals of India which marks the end of the winter solstice and onset of consistently longer days. Along with colourful decorations, music, bonfires and feasts; Makar Sankranti is celebrated every year around the same time. The festival isn’t complete without delicious delicacies that people relish while partaking in the festivities by the bonfire.
Adding a crunch of happiness and joy to this are California walnuts which are grown and processed under strict quality control standards in order to deliver a high-quality product for you and your family to enjoy year-round. They are sweet in taste, creamy in texture and add a delightful crunch to your festive delicacies. So, this Makar Sankranti try out these exciting California walnuts inspired delicacies and host a delish feast like no other!
Walnut Panjeri By Chef Kumar Nachikhet
Ingredients : 2 cups wheat flour, 1 cup ghee, 1 cup California walnuts, crushed, 1 tablespoon cardamom powder, 1 cup sugar
- In a pan, heat some ghee and add the wheat flour, roast the flour for 12-15 minutes, till it starts changing the colour.
- Add crushed California walnuts and cardamom powder and roast for another 5-7 minutes
- Add sugar and mix it well.
- Garnish with more chopped walnuts and dried rose petals (optional) and enjoy!
Chia and Walnut ladoos by chef Madhuri Aggarwal
Ingredients : 1 cup California walnuts , 1 cup pitted dates, 2 tablespoons chia seeds, 1 tablespoon cocoa powder optional, 1 tablespoon ghee / coconut oil
- Coarsely blend the seedless dates in a blender without adding any water. Set aside.
- In a large pan heat ghee/coconut oil and toast walnuts on low flame till they are gold in colour and crunchy. Let it cool. Coarsely powder the walnuts. Transfer it back to the pan.
- Now add 1 tablespoon chia seeds and roast for a minute.
- Add in ground dates and mix well.
- Continue to mix this mixture on medium flame pressing the dates with a spatula. This helps dates to mix uniformly with the walnuts and chia seeds. Sauté till the dates start releasing oil.
- Turn off the flame and let it cool for a minute. Do not let the mixture cool completely, or it won’t shape into balls.
- Start rolling into small ladoos, and store in an airtight container.
Walnut Chikki by chef Shumaila Chahaun
Ingredients : 1 cup California walnuts, 150g jaggery , 1 tablespoon water, 1 teaspoon ghee, 1/2 teaspoon saunf/fennel seeds
- Roast 1 cup walnuts in a pan on medium heat, constantly stirring for a few minutes. Remove from heat, chop into small pieces.
- Prepare the back of a baking tray/pan- grease with oil/butter, and line it with parchment paper. Keep aside.