By Dilshad Hansotia, Fashion Consultant
Elsa Schiaparelli said, “In difficult times, fashion is always outrageous” and we cannot help but think that she must be hinting towards monsoon. While all other seasons have a set of colour palettes, fabrics, silhouettes to dress up with, monsoon fashion can be quite tricky in terms of what to wear and how to style it. It won’t be wrong to say that fashion is all about what works best for your comfort zone. So, the secret of monsoon fashion is striking the perfect balance between couture and comfort. Monsoon is the season when you can play around with fresh colours, fabrics, styles and silhouettes. Here are some styles to help your fashion boat sail through the breezy monsoon.
8 tips to keep your style quotient high in this rainy season
- Fashionable tunics– Due to its versatility, tunics are our safe bet. You can create several gorgeous looks by belting, pleating or simply shrugging them. Tunics can be worn as dresses or paired up with pants, palazzos, leggings or simply a skirt. So, if your favourite pair of an outfit isn’t dry because of the weather, trust us and throw over a tunic, pair it with rain comfy shoes and you are ready to rock.
- Practical Short hemlines– If you are one like us who loves taking a stroll in the rain, then opt for shorter hemlines. Such hemlines will not hinder your mobility in the wet season. The advantage of outfits with shorter hemlines like crop tops, shorts, knee-length dresses that it won’t get dirty easily in the rain. You can opt for the number of dresses like a shirt dress, drawstring dress, ruffled dress, wrap dress and more. Midi dresses are a perfect choice as they are not too long or too short to make you uncomfortable. You can also go for kimono sleeved dresses which can dry off easily.
- Go High, Go low– While floor-length Kurtis, gowns or long skirts are a total no-no in rains, you can opt for high and low silhouettes. Asymmetric cuts are a good pick for monsoon fashion. They look trendy. You won’t have to compromise with your comfort. Choose bright, happy colours that can uplift your mood in the dull skies but stay away from fabric which bleeds on being wet. Pair up the asymmetrical outfit with ballet shoes, sling bag and let your hair down.
- Pick bright colours– We agree that the skies are grey and dull, but bright colours can help you glide through the gloomy weather. Choose cheery colours that can bring a smile on your face and steer clear of whites as they can get stained and transparent. Bright colours can vary from red, pink, blue, yellow, green, black to any that you love. Nevertheless, avoid too many prints. Opt for minimalism and let your colours help you sail through.
- Charming pants– We love denim but won’t deny that they can be a pain in monsoon. But that doesn’t mean you have to compromise on style game. Pants are here to charm their way into your closets. Pants are apt for comfortable clothing and can be paired with any top easily. Whether it’s a day at work or evening dinner, pants can be your BFF for monsoon season. Pair up your Kurtis and tops with cotton pants for practical and fashionable monsoon.
6. Rompers and Jumpsuits- Jumpsuits and rompers are a great choice in the monsoon. Opt for bright, pretty colours to beat the gloomy weather. They will make you stand out in the crowd and make a fashion statement. Choose nylon and cotton ones because they dry quickly.
7. Printed Dresses– Dresses which are not only summer attire, it has the sober outfit in monsoon also. With big, bold prints are a great idea for this rainy season. You can combine them with chiming accessories and comfortable footwear. The only tip would be to avoid thin fabrics!
8. Comfortable shorts– You probably spent the summer wearing shorts because of how cool and comfy they are. Good news is that you can even walk into the rainy season with them. The only thing to remember? Wearing cotton shorts is a better idea than denim ones because denim will take too long to dry. Even wearing Capri’s or Culottes is a good idea in this damp weather.
Ultimately, monsoon is all about cheers, freshness and fun. So, make sure you dress the part as well. Be it in your choice of colours, fabric, or accessories anything can be a style statement to bring out your aesthetics of monsoon. Moreover, make sure you add a smile while you cheer up for this monsoon!